Navigation by WebRing.
The Conflict Toolset PDF Print E-mail
Written by rpiadmin   
Saturday, 29 October 2016 07:03

What I have been trying to do for 20 years is make a different kind of roleplaying system, one where players can use the every aspect of a character to create and expand stories at the table.  Where I always failed was the math and a misguided desire to simulate life with math at the table.  

I released StrikeForce and the Conflict System in 2005 and came to the realization I had a lot to learn to make a really good game.  The first thing was to learn to listen.  Listening meant listening to players, what the industry was doing, podcasts, and other games and their designers.  I started a Warhammer Fantasy #rd Edition game with some friends and we loved how that system really drove narrative while supporting that narrative with mechanics.  Then my friend dan asked me how I could say my game was a base d100, when I could have 200+ values, my brain popped.  When 2 other players created characters and walked away from a game, saying the character gen was lacking, my brain popped again.
Through this and many other moments of brain popping I revised and redesigned and saw failure.

There have been 4 actual revisions of the contact system, A,B,C, and D.  Each was a long step towards what I plan to release this week, so I wanted to give some idea of what each one was and what the final product will look like.
Rev A used lots of math to create the effects I wanted, but it was old school character gen, a cross between old ADnD and 1st ed Traveller.  The mechanic was main skill ranks  multiplied by the subskills.  It resulted in huge numbers and great stories because the players were invested in the characters and the world.   But you needed a calculator at the table and the combat systems were a mess of formulas and charts.  It did not flow unless I ran it and had the knowledge of how to make it work.
rev B went from a system with no top end to one that maxed out around 1000.  That worked better but still needed calcs and combat was a maze of charts and formulas.  
Rev C brought the numbers down to around 250, but combat was still a mess and the characters really had very little depth, t least that was not brought by the players, not a bad thing but I wanted the players to have more so they could do more.
By this time 2014, I realized the math was the problem, it had to go away.  the dice had to do more than just generate numbers for adding or subtracting stuff, they rolling of the dice had to make things happen at the table, so rev D was born.  I gutted my character gen allowing the creation of a detailed past, passions, and skills with a lot less effort.  I had characters with detail the players could use at the table.  To lose the math I came up with a die roll system that caused results not math and a bracket system for skill challenges.  I was able to finally create specific challenge types with target numbers that change based on the characters at the table. Combat is smooth and just another check, albeit with damage and criticals.  It is all good It is what I wanted my system to be.
So finally I ported the system to another setting and it all came together,  I ditched the brackets (just another table not really needed)  to a system  that drives action at the table based on the player input and the die results with almost no math.  I gave players influence  and complications to enhance the story at the table.
So today I am doing a basic layout for the rules to the Conflict Toolset so Others can see what this system is and try it.  It should be on DriveThruRpg by the end of the week.
So its the start of something new, based on the old. This time it's ready and I hope some of you will at least give it a try.  IConflict System ts not better than other games out there, just different.

Thanx

Lee

Last Updated on Saturday, 29 October 2016 16:53
 

Login Register





Login
Register

Web ID Logins


Valid XHTML & CSS | Template Design LernVid.com and ah-68